IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you role-play a Celestial in Mysts of Eyr, you must first submit a Celestial Standard Agreement Form.
Not to be confused with the pantheon of Gods and Goddesses themselves, Celestials are creations of the former. Denizens of the Astral Sea, rather than the Material Plane, they are entities based on goodness and light. Celestials are the polar opposite of demonkind, embodying holy divine power rathern than infernal.
Those that planar travel to Eyr and other parts of the realm are often here as part of some divine mission for their creator. Holy beings, though they might be, Celestials do not have god-like powers nor is their god or goddess present to directly influence or affect the Celestial’s efforts on the material plane (i.e. god cannot be NPCed as your character’s backup in a fight). Celestials as defined in Eyr are beings of good alignment. Making choices aligned with lawful goodness come naturally to them.
Celestials are humanoid in form (not mermaids, animals, anthropomorphs, etc) commonly, but not always, bearing a pair of wings upon their back. They cross over a range of genders and are commonly possessing an otherworldly beauty and grace befitting that of the divine. They are also a long-lived race, where some have spanned four millennium (4,000 years) before fading back into the light of the Astral Sea.
As humanoids in form, Celestials can disguise their wings and more Celestial attributes to better blend in among mortals. If they so choose, they can breed with mortals as well as with their own kind. While not in possession of god-like powers, Celestials can use magic abilities. They are naturally inclined to play holy-magic users, also known as clerics, deriving their power from their deity creator.
NOTE: While Celestials are often depicted as being Angel-like, Eyr specifically refers to them as Celestials and they are not the product of Christian lore. Much of our lore is loosely based in D&D. We encourage avoiding any one particular real-life religious doctrine for our fantasy world.
All Celestials in Eyr possess the following universal strengths and weaknesses. Characters must adhere to this ability set (this does not include the character’s class which is up to the player to decide); however the chosen character class may not add to these strengths nor negate these weaknesses in any way.
- Enhanced Sight & Hearing: A Celestial's sight and hearing are twice as strong as the average human's, being able to see fine details from 20m (SL chat distance) and detect some subtle sounds from others up to 10m. If the moon is able to cast light, they are able to see in the dark up to 20m. This is not a true dark vision, and they cannot see well in caves or other enclosed spaces.
- Flight: All Celestials possess the ability of flight, and can travel at great speeds, equal to 40mph through the air.
- Enhanced Speed & Agility: Celestials are 1.5x as fast and agile as a normal human, though only while airborne.
- Enhanced Stamina: Where Celestials are not creatures of muscle strength, they can endure. A Celestial will endure pain, strain, and exhaustion twice that of a human.
- Resistant to Disease: Their bodies are highly resistant to mundane diseases and are generally resistant to magically based or enhanced ones -- though not immune to either. Celestials cannot catch or transmit race-changing ailments (e.g., Lycanthropy, Sirenium, Vampirism).
- Strength from Philanthropy: Celestials can enhance their aura, energy and strength when in the presence of philanthropic deeds, or participating in these deeds themselves. Doing good**, putting fate into balance, counteracting evil with good, light with darkness, helping others, protecting the weak and innocent, are all examples of actions that enhance a Celestial’s well-being. Chicken soup for the Celestial soul.
- *Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.
- Resistance to Poison: All Celestials possess a moderate resistance to all toxins, including fatal toxins such as nightshade and hemlock.
- Detect the Undead: Celestials possess an innate ability to sense beings without “souls”, also known as the undead - including vampires - within 20m. In certain cases, undead may try to use magic to conceal their identity. It is highly recommended to communicate first OOC with a player to see if the undead character is using such an ability.
- Conceal Holy Attributes: Celestials possess the ability to conceal their wings and most of their aural radiance to appear more human or elven and to blend in with mortals. This ability is an illusion and is not 100% failsafe, their aura can still be detected. Celestials, though disguised, still carry the burden of their wings, and must take care to keep them folded flat to their backs to avoid bumping into things.
- Archon: Can take on the appearance of a human or high elf.
- Half-Celestial: Can take on the appearance of a human or high elf.
- Redeemed: Can take on the appearance of a human or grey elf (though not drow).
- Resistant to Psionic Attacks: Celestials are highly resistant to psionic attacks and invasions of their mind, however, they are not immune. A sustained attack over time can wear down a Celestial’s ability to resist.
- Unholy Vulnerability: Unholy and evil magic, objects, places and beings that have a pure essence of unholiness will diminish a Celestial’s strength, stamina and fortitude. Stepping onto unholy ground causes extreme discomfort and sometimes is not physically possible (they feel a barrier that prevents them from going into the area). An example would be the demon’s portal.
- Vulnerable Senses: Due to heightened senses, powerful stimuli such as bright lights and loud noises can overwhelm them, causing disorientation, pain, and possibly nausea, lightheadedness, and fatigue. The closer or more direct the stimuli, the more disorienting, overwhelming, and/or painful the stimuli can be. Sensitivity to light is increased further when using moonlight vision.
- Ordinary Healing: May only heal as swiftly as a human can naturally. Mundane mortal medicine has only a minor effect on their healing, though magical healing can accelerate the process. Celestials incur bodily injuries to their flesh and bones just as mortal humans do and they scar as a mortal would.
- Human Strength: In return for their flight, speed and agility, Celestials are limited in build, which allows them greater maneuverability in air. Due to this, Celestials do not possess physical might beyond that of normal spectrum of human strength.
- Corruption: Extensive exposure to situations of corruption can weaken a Celestial’s strength, stamina and fortitude over time. Perpetually seeking to balance evil with good on the material plane, Celestials are compelled to counteract evil and corruption. Without taking action, it can chip away at their psychological well-being as well. Extended time surrounded in darkness and evil will drain a Celestial who does not put evil into balance.
- Wings: The Achilles’ Heel of Celestials. Damage to wings impairs a Celestial’s ability to fly, and is a highly emotionally and physically damaging injury to incur. Burned, tattered, or soaked wings can compromise mobility. Complete removal may cause intense emotional trauma, as well as cause them to lose their connection to their god and become human. This is irreversible.
- Inability to Sense False-Form Demons: Demons, also known as infernals, are racially very similar to Celestials and the differences lie primarily in their creed and their gods. Thus, while a Celestial might sense unholy aspects of a demon through touch or close contact, they cannot outright “spot” a demon in disguise, also known as their “False Form”.
- Hellfire: In addition to hellfire’s normal properties, Celestials, who are more vulnerable to unholy and corruptive energies, take more damage from hellfire than do the other races. In addition, Celestials may not cross lines of hellfire, and are considered to be imprisoned if they are caught within a ring of hellfire until the flames are extinguished.
The Archon is what we traditionally think of as a Celestial, appearing human, without physical flaw or maladies and possessing a large feathered wingspan. Archons were given life by their divine creator, and all hail from the Upper Planes. Archons possess basic masculine or feminine features though often can appear androgynous, either gender expressing traits of the other, giving a sense of ambiguous beauty. Archons appear commonly fair of skin and hair, often with glowing eyes and radiant features, though occasionally color variants are seen within the spectrum of normal human coloration. Archons do not naturally have fantasy-colored skin, hair or eyes. (i.e. blue skin, pink hair, etc.) however, some may have a metallic appearance similar to silver, or gold, in their skin and hair. Wings range from black, to greys and to whites.
Socially, Archons are a noble, regal and proud group and excel with diplomacy and philanthropy. While they may struggle to accept Half-Celestials and Redeemed Celestials as equals, being of good alignment, Archons are tolerant of other beings who serve the greater good, and reserve their judgement to fall in the hands of their divine creator.
Note: Archon wings do not take on the coloring of various bird species. White is the most common color for Archon wings.
After a lengthy, trying process (likely with multiple failures), an Infernal (demon) has risen above their evil and allowed entry to the Upper Planes, dedicating themselves to the path of good and becoming wholly good-aligned. The Redeemed have much to prove to their Archon and Celestial brethren, who can be skeptical and wary of them. It is important to know that a Redeemed Celestial is not a “fallen angel” as depicted in real life. Marking them as outsiders, their appearance tends to feature darker, less radiant skin tones and hair colors, commonly ashy or greyish skin, and black hair. While they have no horns, tails or other clearly Infernal features, they may have long or sharp nails, lightly pointed teeth, dark irises, and pointed ears - subtle remnants of their demonic past. Wings range from black, to greys and to whites.
Socially, the Redeemed often struggle to fit in, being wholly rejected by their demon counterparts and often not entirely accepted by other true Celestials, either. Having committed themselves to a good alignment, Redeemed will often work twice as hard to right their wrongs and bring balance to the grief they’ve wrought as a former demon.
Note: Redeemed wings do not take on the coloring of various bird species. Black is the most common color for a Redeemed’s wings.
An individual with a full Celestial parent and a Human parent. Click HERE for more information on half-celestials.
Celestials in Eyr possess a variety of special and unique abilities that set them apart from others and define them. Celestial characters may select up to THREE gifts below to bestow upon them that will give them a unique edge. Every unique gift has an associated “cost” that must be accounted for in roleplay. To fail to do so can result in admin interference.
The Gift of Resurrection
The gift of resurrection is bestowed by the Divine Creator upon chosen Celestials who are entrusted with this divine power. They have the ability to bring the dead back to life. As always, getting OOC consent is key. If someone doesn’t want to be resurrected, respect their wishes.
Cost: They must make physical, unbroken contact with their intended target, and must take the time and effort to engage their target (minimum 5 posts). If physical contact is broken, the Celestial must begin again. The Celestial must give up part of their life essence, and will be at minimum weakened in speed, stamina, agility, and resistance by 50% for minimum of a week. The longer the body has been dead, the more effort it takes to resurrect, and drive the soul back into the body. A long dead body could tax the Celestial so much, they themselves fall into a brief coma from the exertion. This gift may only be used four times per calendar year,(ie at least three months between resurrections) per character (including soul-bonds, see Gift of Guiding Light).
The Gift of Blinding Light
Celestials bestowed with this ability can turn their entire bodies into a blinding, white-hot ball of intense light energy, blasting opponents in a fraction of a second with their brilliance. Induces temporary blindness on their targets, shock, dizziness, confusion. Acts much like a flash-bang, without the “bang”. Especially damaging to Vampires.
Cost: Limit 20 meter range. Using Blinding Light renders the Celestial significantly drained of stamina, speed, and strength by 75% for that day due to the extreme expenditure of energy. Often used as a last resort tactic in battle.
The Gift of Animal Senses
This gift gives a Celestial the ability to adopt an animal companion known as a “familiar”, often white in color. The Celestial’s senses are enhanced in accordance to the animals’ senses. A white owl might enhance night vision, or a white horse enhance their sense of smell.
Cost: Animal may not detect or “sense” for the Celestial beyond a 20m radius. This connection is tenuous and fragile thread, and requires peace and concentration to achieve. Chaos and fighting, or either Celestial or Familiar being injured, will interrupt this connection. While concentrating, a Celestial’s awareness and reaction times are dramatically reduced, as they “zone out”. Animals are limited to natural beasts found in medieval Europe. No dragons, no anime creatures, no anthropomorphic races/furries, etc. This familiar must follow the Phantom NPC rules under the NPC guidelines.
The Gift of Righteous Shout
The figurative mouthpiece of their Divine Creator; Celestials bestowed with this ability can both create a sonic blast targeting their enemies, and can give a minor endurance and willpower buff to their allies within a 20m radius, in effect a rally cry. The sonic wave of holy energy is powerful against unholy enemies, often causing disorientation and temporary deafness. Caught off-guard, it can even knock their enemies down.
Cost: Range limit of 20m. Dice roll for effectiveness required - roll range will determine how much of a buff is awarded to allies; use the graded method. Buffing their allies reduces the Celestial’s stamina by 50% for 5 post rounds, and the Celestial loses their voice for 2 post rounds.
The Gift of Transfer Wounds
The Celestial bestowed with this ability is able to protect up to two mortals within a 20m radius for 3 post rounds, creating a shield against physical & magical damage, and subverting the damage to him or herself.
Cost: The Celestial must then incur all the damage, they cannot “dodge” it or dispell magic attacks. Attacks will glance off the protected mortal and transfer to the Celestial which is forced to endure the pain and injuries. Aura of Defense will eventually break down after 3 post rounds, it cannot be sustained for great lengths of time.
The Gift of Imbue Weapon
A Celestial bestowed with this ability can empower their own weapon with Holy Magic, giving it an unearthly glowing effect. Weapon will remain sharp / balanced / tuned and incur very little damage during battle, weapon’s weight will be reduced by half. Damage done to Unholy beings is 1.5x greater than a typical weapon, and more difficult for undead and unholy creatures to heal wounds made by the imbued weapon.
Cost: Imbuement is not permanent and requires re-imbuement, or “recharging” after 5 post rounds of usage. Celestials must sacrifice their own strength and stamina by 20% to imbue their essence into the weapon, meaning, they are not as fast, strong, agile or enduring when carrying the imbued weapon. The Imbuement spell requires concentration, and cannot be done instantly or in the heat of battle. Celestials with this gift may not imbue someone else’s weapon.
The Gift of Purge Evil
Celestials bestowed with this gift have the ability to perform exorcisms on mortals possessed by infernals / demons, purging the evil entity from the mortal’s body and freeing them of the yoke of evil. Using their willpower and praying to their Divine Creator for strength, they engage in a mental battle against the evil entity to attempt to cast it back to its plane.
Cost: Celestial must make direct physical contact with their intended target for a minimum of 3 post rounds. If physical contact is broken, the Celestial must begin again. The Celestial will exert a massive amount of energy to achieve this, and will be weakened in speed, stamina, agility, and resistance by 50% for the following 3 days. Celestial must also be at 100% health, and not recovering from the use of any other strength-draining abilities.
The Gift of Blessing Water
The Celestial bestowed with this gift has the ability to bless water to make it holy. Most commonly performed with vials of water for chapels and baptismal ceremonies. Holy water can be used to deter or ward off evil spells and unholy beings, though, is never 100% failsafe.
Cost: Blessing an item can only be performed by a Celestial once per week. Maximum of 8oz of Holy Water can be blessed at any time (about the size of a flask). Dice roll for effectiveness required; use the graded method. Since each Celestial has 1 shot at making holy water per week, rolling low and producing a weak holy water is one of the costs / downsides.
The Gift of Guiding Light
The Celestial bestowed with this gift may form a bond-link with one mortal of their choosing, essentially becoming their “Guiding Light”. Celestials are often drawn by fate to certain mortals, and compelled to guide them toward their righteous path, and serve as protectors for the duration of that mortal’s life. With the Guiding Light gift, they have the ability to sense when their bond is under duress, in pain, in danger and sick/diseased. Additionally, the Celestial is able to gift his/her own endurance to their bond partner. Bonds are typically not sexual or love related, the Celestial serves more as a guide and protector to a mortal of any age or gender. Relationships arising later after a long bond between two consenting adults have been known to occur, but it is key to know that primarily, this special bond does not focus on love or sex.
Cost: In return for gifting their bond partner with endurance, the Celestial experiences a marked and equal decrease in their own endurance, essentially becoming exhausted and defeated much more rapidly. 5 post maximum per day, 20m radius. When sensing a bond partner in duress, the Celestial may not be instantly “teleported” in, they must travel normally. We recommend a 10 minute delay, minimum. The bond is for a lifetime. (unless both parties OOCly consent to break it off).
The Gift of Holy Airstrike
When bestowed with this gift, the Celestial has the ability to call upon his clerical strength to bring down a powerful lightning strike. The strike will temporarily blind for 1 post round, and has a blast effect that can knock its opponents back. Additionally as with all electrical strikes, a direct hit can cause severe burns, coma, traumatic shock, and heart attack.
Cost: Can only be used once per day, can only target one character. Dice may be used to determine the accuracy of the bolt, target may counter-roll.
Please note, if you are interested in playing a race not described below, please contact an administrator for approval.