Lead: Currently looking for a lead. Click HERE to apply!
As you pass through the cavern tunnel festooned with beading strands of bioluminescence, you come upon the entrance to a glowing womb-like environment. A cobbled wooden sign swings above your head, reading “Welcome to the Night Cap”. Beneath your feet, the ground feels foam-like and squishes with each step. The walls, floors and ceiling of this cavern feel entirely alive, not the way an animal feels alive, but rather, organic.
Luminescent pores dot the softly ridged cavern walls, and around you rises a grand forest of mushroom trees and fungal wisps. Everything surrounding you pulses gently with life. To either side, deeper impressions in the floor are filled with clear, cerulean fluid that blubs and ripples occasionally, while lively motes ebb and glow upon the liquid surface. The temperature is comfortable, not too hot, nor too cool and the damp air hangs patiently still.
Before you stands an inviting bar, and tavern tables, but unlike anything in a human village. Entirely organic, and grown into their current shape, they are living mushrooms, and upon the cap-shelves are jars, bottles, baskets and containers of various mushrooms, as well as cannabis, opium poppies, coca leaves and other exotic ways to enjoy a break from reality. Up the cascade of shelf-fungus stairs is a large platform, seemingly growing right out of the wall, with pillows, tables and hookah pipes, inviting you to relax. And ahead of you, behind the bar with beady eyes, a broad speckled cap, and a gentle smile stands a Myconid, ready to take your order.
The Night Cap
Established by the seldom-seen but ever-present Myconid people, the Night Cap has been doing a quiet and tidy business within the Myconid Caverns of Ohm Peak for nearly a century. Offering up sensory delights, relaxation, and psychedelic journeys, the Night Cap is a much-sought-after destination for those both bold and experimental.
Nobody knows the mushroom kingdom as expertly as a Myconid; all Myconid people are able to easily identify thousands of individual mushroom and fungus types, their properties, and idiosyncrasies. How do they do it? They just ask! Using a method called ‘spore rapport’ Myconids transmit vast amounts of information through bursts of spore clouds, thus enabling communication between Myconids and any particular fungus. What is this strange mushroom growing? Pick up a hint of its spores and you have an encyclopedia of knowledge about it in a matter of seconds.
Capitalizing upon this knowledge, Myconids have for hundreds of years been peddling mushrooms of all sorts: those that heal, those that kill, and those that induce euphoria or psychedelia, in return for traded goods that appeal to a Myconid’s needs or fancies. Thusly, under the direction of an enterprising Myconid, the Night Cap was born.
A wide variety of edibles, smokables, drinkables, inhalants and refreshments can be bartered for or bought by coin at the Night Cap. There is no business in currency at the bar, and as with nearly every transaction in the jungle, TRADE is the method of choice. What the Night Cap will accept is a matter of debate and can vary from tender to tender, or what the owner is in need of. Trading is generally for food, forageables, weapons, valuable substances, decorative crafts and jewelry, tools, and services. An item’s value is merely what someone is willing to give up for it, and what one is willing to give it up for. Myconids tend to love a good barter, and generally judge those who do not barter as fools.
- BETEL NUT:
- Chew the seeds, or the most common method of using betel nut is to slice it into thin strips and roll it in a betel leaf with slaked lime (powder) or crushed seashells. This leaf package is known as a betel quid. Users experience mild euphoria and feelings of wellbeing
- GOLD CAPS:
- Bitter and woody taste. Stems and caps served dried.
- Golden caps are the classic choice for psychotropic mushrooms. Hallucination lasts 4 - 10 hours, Visual distortions often occur, including walls that seem to breathe, a vivid enhancement of colors and the animation of organic shapes. At higher doses, experiences tend to be less social and more spiritual, often intense and divine in nature.
- * average potency
- HASH OIL:
- Waxy, honey-like substance served with a hookah.
- This concentrated substance produces a well rounded high similar to that of the indisativa, but is much much stronger and can be nearly incapacitating for the novice user.
- KAVA ROOT:
- Bitter and chalky. Served freshly grated.
- In general, consumers of kava attest that it makes you feel relaxed, enhances calm and lowers anxiety while promoting sociability. Higher doses can generate feelings of gentle euphoria, with greater sedation and mild motor impairment similar to that of alcohol’s effects. Intense muscular relaxation eventually leads to deep, restful sleep. A wonderful treatment for anxiety or sleeplessness.
- KHAT LEAVES:
- Bitter and grassy. Leaves served fresh in small bundles.
- Khat leaves are chewed fresh, giving varying degrees of exhilaration and stimulation. Effects are similar to those of other amphetamines, and users report feelings of well-being, mental alertness, excitement and euphoria.
- LIBERTY CAPS:
- Musty bland taste. Stems and caps served dried.
- Typical experiences include visual distortions of color, depth and form, progressing to visual hallucinations. Common side effects include pupil dilation, increased heart rate, unpleasant mood, and over-responsive reflexes. With the Liberty Cap, the effect on mood in particular is dependent on the subject's pre-exposure personality traits, meaning if you are in a bad mental state before ingesting, the experience will be negative. If you are in a positive mental state, the experience will be very pleasant.
- ** moderate potency
- NIGHT CAPS:
- Floury and tasteless. Stems and caps served dried.
- Legendary for its potency, of which the Night Cap establishment was named, this mushroom packs a punch, and delivers a long odyssey-like trip that starts very energetically and delivers powerful, clear, intense hallucinations. Users experience enhanced mood, euphoria, laughing and giggling, insightful ideas and sense of creative energy, a strong sense of wonder and awe, and feeling spiritually uplifted and intensely connected with the divine. In high doses the Night Cap can cause temporary paralysis of the limbs which can last for up to an hour. Not recommended for beginners.
- **** very high potency
- WAVY CAPS:
- Sharp, sour and woody taste. Stems and caps served dried.
- As its active components are psilocybin and psilocin, this mushroom provides a similar voyage to others with the same constituents. The effects of mushrooms containing these components can be described as “visionary”; the user may experience personal or external-world insight. Other effects include visual or auditory hallucinations, including deeper appreciation for and an increased enjoyment of music and visual art. Users of wavy caps report a feeling of interconnectedness with the Earth and the plant consciousness.
- *** high potency
- This smoking blend was typically used both ritualistically and generally, and varying recipes of kinnikinnick were said to possess mildly narcotic and somewhat hallucinogenic after-effect.
- DIVINER'S SAGE:
- Served dried, leaves and stems.
- Also known as Salvia and one of the gentler hallucinogens available, immediately after smoking the user experiences effects that can last 5 to 25 minutes. Effects range from uncontrollable laughter, to sensations of motion, or being pulled or twisted by forces, visions of membranes, films and various two-dimensional surfaces, merging with or becoming objects, and overlapping realities, such as the perception of being in several locations at once. Just as immediate as the effects come on, they quickly wear off and the user feels quite fresh and normal, if a bit sweaty. Recovery is quick and easy.
- INDICA CANNABIS BUDS
- Sticky dried flower buds ground into flakes, served with a hookah.
- Within seconds of inhaling the smoke, the user will feel relaxed, drowsy, and warm with a high that is full-body and can be mildly hallucinogenic. Its most universal effect is as an euphoric, the user having a feeling of well-being and exaltation. Indica is prized for evening use, as it is deeply relaxing and creates more of a ‘body’ high than a cerebral high, relaxing away body tensions and pain as well as increasing appetite.
- "INDISATIVA" CANNABIS BUDS (HYBRID):
- Sticky dried flower buds ground into flakes, served with a hookah.
- The hybrid buds of the indisativa provide a unique blend of both traits of the Indica and Sativa plants, offering both full-body relaxation and pain relief, while also creating mental alertness and a surge of focus and creativity.
- Unripe fruit capsules are incised after the petals fall and the milky exudate is air dried and molded into a gummy substance known as opium.
- In general, Opium is a highly addictive substance with many beneficial properties as well, such as its powerful relief of pain. The effect of smoking opium is hypnotic, and users report feeling wrapped in warmth and love, peaceful, euphoric and sleepy. Some negative side effects include cold sweats, nausea and vomiting, immobility, sleeplessness, abnormal body temperature and heartbeat and severe depression.
- SATVIA CANNIBAS BUDS:
- Sticky dried flower buds ground into flakes, served with a hookah.
- Within seconds of inhaling the smoke, the user will feel uplifted and energetic with a high that is cerebral, spacey or mildly hallucinogenic - often inducing fits of giggles and giddiness. Sativa is great for daytime use, and embarking on creative tasks or thoughts. Helps to reduce anxiety and improves mood.
- BLACK ICHOR OF LIFE:
- Rich, full bodied dark-coloured beverage served hot.
- Coffee Beans are roasted over flame and pulverized, then steeped in hot water. Usually drank socially or for medicinal purposes, Black Ichor of Life has been used for thousands of years as an uplifting stimulant, offering the user increased mental awareness, energy, alertness and creativity for a span of 3 - 6 hours after consuming.
- DREAM ROOT:
- Dried powdered root mixed with fruit juice or water to make a milky potion.
- So named for it’s powerful effects while dreaming, the root’s effects usually manifest during sleep as prophetic lucid dream states that are rich with significance. Individuals do not usually perceive any effects in the waking state. The dream state is often compared to going under water by the Sum’eians. It is said that if one keeps a question in mind before going to bed, one of the ancestors will appear in a dream and provide an answer.
- JUNGLE TORCH:
- Sweet tincture of Jungle Torch distilled with liqueur
- The Jungle Torch of Eyr is a vine-like succulent which contains Mescaline. Mescaline induces a psychedelic state similar to those produced by psilocybin, but with unique characteristics. Subjective effects may include altered thinking processes, an altered sense of time and self-awareness, and closed- and open-eye visual phenomena. Prominence of color is distinctive, appearing brilliant and intense. Recurring visual patterns observed during the mescaline experience include stripes, checkerboards, angular spikes, multicolor dots, and very simple fractals that turn very complex. Like psilocybin, mescaline induces distortions of form and kaleidoscopic experiences but manifest more clearly with eyes closed and under low lighting conditions.
- Opium dissolved in alcohol, but also serves as a separate concoction and may be used medicinally. Effects include euphoria, dysphoria, pruritus, sedation, constipation, reduced tidal volume, respiratory depression, as well as psychological dependence, physical dependence, miosis, andxerostomia.
- LOTUS TINCTURE:
- A sedative and aphrodisiac, rich in active resins.When prepared as a tea the flowers produce a thick, gold/clear liquid that reminds one of melted amber. The liquid is ever-so-slightly sweet and upon being consumed creates a warm, euphoric glow.
- SACRED LOTUS:
- Petals steeped for up to 3 weeks to make a tea.
- A sexual stimulant more powerful than Viagra, the Blue Lotus is an aromatic flower which has been used for thousands of years as a sensory stimulant, to relieve pain, increase memory, increase circulation, promote sexual desire and create a feeling of euphoria and ecstasy. Users often feel chatty, more focused on small details and report a feeling of deep euphoric relaxation without drowsiness combined with bodily sensitivity. Effects last 5 - 9 hours depending on amount consumed.
- VISION QUEST:
- Golden coloured tea with an acrid taste.
- Produced with golden caps, the Vision Quest tea infusion is a much lighter and more relaxed psychotropic experience and is recommended for the beginner or casual expeditions. Hallucination lasts 2- 5 hours, Visual distortions often occur, including walls that seem to breathe, a vivid enhancement of colors and the animation of organic shapes. A good beverage to bring on a Vision Quest as it is portable and can be sipped over time, giving a milder but more extended experience.
- YAGE BREW:
- Bitter, dark-coloured beverage served hot.
- Ayahuasca bark is boiled and the decoction drunk in many parts of tropical regions as a major hallucinogenic beverage. Shortly after ingesting, vomiting occurs, feelings of cold and spiral-flying sensations associated with nausea take place, and visions of blue-masked specters (often assuming grotesque forms) and alarming animals (e.g., boa constrictors) are seen. During this time, hearing is distorted and the individual becomes acutely sensitive. Later, motor coordination is reduced to staggering, the body is hot and sweaty, and salivation and spitting are continuous. If sufficient active compounds have been absorbed, the sensation of flying occurs while observing beautiful and often spectacular sights, a time when exaltation sweeps the body, and all physical discomforts are forgotten. Objects and scenes are vividly colored in bright but natural colors. Very few participants reach the ultimate in psychoactive experience, reported telepathic sensitivity.
- GRAY DUST:
- A fine gray powdered mental stimulant rumored to have been developed by a secretive underground cult of mages. When taken nasally, the powder offers an intense sensation similar to that of taking a deep breath of air after nearly drowning. Once taken, the dust brings varied philosophical sensations of broadening of the mind, though when combined with certain ingredients can temporarily enhance a wide variety of sensations ranging from intellectual to physical, such as a sense of hearing or improved reflexes. Effects take place almost instantly and last 2-4 hours.
- Withdrawal symptoms are quite severe and include: Anxiety, nausea, paranoia, depression, nosebleeds, possible violent tendencies, and a deep craving for the powder. Withdrawal symptoms will begin to set in after 24-48 hours of being without the product.
- ARRACK: rum, brewed by the Salty Swallow, made of unopened flowers of a coconut palm.
- BLACK RUM: aged rum made from caramelized sugars.
- BUMBO: a mixture of dark rum, lemon juice, grenadine syrup and grated nutmeg or cinnamon.
GROG: adram (a small amount) of rum was often added to a sailor's water ration to kill the taste of the rancid water. This was called grog.
- MEAD: fermented honey beverage.
- RUM: the juice of half a lime, one or two teaspoons of cane sugar and fill the rest of your tin or mug with water.
- SPICED RUM: spiced with local flavors.
- WHISKEY: made with amaranth grain.
- BLOOD: served clean, or mixed with the alcohol of your choice. (Donors would need to be acquired for this to be successful, and depending on those donors blood quality, and quantity might vary weekly.)
- CALAMUS TEA: energizes and reduces anxiety.
- CHAMOMILE TEA: eases anxiety and muscle spasms.
- EUCOMMIA TEA: brewed bark used for back and joint pain, especially in the hips and knees, and also to strengthen bones, tendons and ligaments. Eucommia helps heal tissue that is slow to mend after an injury or that has been weakened through stress.
- GINGER TEA: a natural anti-inflammatory that also helps relieve nausea, arthritis, headaches, menstrual cramps and muscle soreness. Customers have requested drinks that are more mild, and more for social occasions.
- KAVA TEA: a bitter tasting tea that makes the drinker feel relaxed, happy, and slightly euphoric.
- VALERIAN ROOT TEA: a strong tasting tea with calming, sleep inducing effects.
- BUSH BREAD: bread made by crushing seeds into a paste or dough and baking it. It is high in protein and goes very well with many things.
- CANE RAT ON A STICK: cane rat or flying squirrel on a stick or as a shishkabob with your choice of mushrooms and fern leaves.
- IBAN-STYLE DISHES: cooked in a bamboo stem over an open fire. Fish and game can be served Iban style upon request, some meats may not be available off season.
- JERKY: salted and dried meats with staying power. The following meats are offered depending upon seasonal availability: elephant, mountain boar, red river hog, spider monkey, mountain deer, dik-dik, gaur.
- KUEH CHAP: broth is mixed with kueh teow noodles, hard-boiled egg, and river hog parts: skin, ears, tongue, intestines, stomach and lean meat.
- MEE SUA CHICKEN: this dish consists of imported thin rice noodles, meat, and ginger stewed in a fruit wine. The following meats are offered depending upon seasonal availability: jacquacu, fish (Walking catfish, perch, mangrove jack, Yellowfin, shipjack, marlin, wahoo, river ray, archer fish, and lots more!), snakehead eel, mountain deer, mountain boar, red river hog, Spider monkey, and tapir.
- MIDIN: a nutritious, crispy jungle fern that's usually stir-fried.
- MUSHROOMS: the Nightcap offers many mushrooms, and not just psychedelic ones, the edible mushrooms for the less adventurous featured in the Nightcap are as follows; Volvariella Volvacea (Also known as the patty straw mushroom), truffles, and oyster mushrooms. Mushrooms are cooked in a palm oil and seasoned.
- MYSTERY SLOP: whatever happens to be laying around!
- PANSOH MANOK: another delicacy that consists of jacquacu and lemongrass cooked in a bamboo log over an open fire. This process leads to a tender chicken served with lemongrass and bamboo-perfumed gravy.
- SAGO GRUBS: the larvae of the Palm Weevil. Fried or cooked in Sago flour, and wrapped in a Sago leaf like a tamale.
- SAGO PORRIDGE: sago is a powdery starch made from the pith of the Sago Palm; found in its trunk. It is used to make a variety of edible items, such as porridge.