Token Cost: 4 Tokens
Amount: 500 gram ingot
Description: Eyr’s nod to the beloved and world-renowned fantasy writer, J.R.R. Tolkien. For fans of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings trilogy, you will know that Mithril is a rare substance said to resemble silver yet is stronger than steel and much lighter in weight than either. As the wizard Gandalf explained to the fellowship on route through the dwarven mines of Moria, "Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of Mithril did not tarnish or grow dim."
Restriction Level: High - Restricted. (See Controlled Substances Web Page)
Terms & Conditions: As a token reward, Mithril is limited to provision of a 500 gram ingot - roughly equivalent to the size of an I-phone. Examples of use include yet are not limited to:
- Craft a Mithril jewellery set (necklace, earrings, bracelet, ring)
- Craft a large decorative Mithril amulet
- Reinforce the blade of a small dagger
- Reinforce one edge of a large blade/sword
- Reinforce a standard sized helmet or shield
- Craft 3 Mithril arrowheads
Given the special craftsmanship of working with Mithril, it is compulsory that any such weapon or jewellery forging must be completed by a knowledgeable Blacksmith in one of Eyr’s forges and will need regular upkeep.
How to Use
When your character is ready to hand over their Mithril to a crafter/business within Eyr the following action should be taken:
- The object marked 'Mithril Ingot' found within the reward folder should be rezzed in-world.
- Confirm you wish to 'utilize' the item by clicking 'yes' (if select no, remember to take the object back into your inventory for later use)
- The object will then expire and self delete, sending email confirmation of IC use to the Eyr admin team for us to log in our token reward records.
- The Mithril ingot is considered 'used' and the crafter/business is free to icly create your ordered/requested object (so long as meets the terms and conditions of use)
Mithril in Eyr is extremely rare, almost to the point of non-existent. Where once was mined by dwarves with the skill, knowledge and sheer patience to seek it through the deepest delving, the decline of dwarf-kin presence within the realm has seen the art near lost to the Mysts. So little now exists that it is considered depleted and most Mithril items are made from melting down old items/weapons and forging new ones.
Given its malleable nature and mysterious durability, those lucky enough to be in possession of Mithril tend to use it in the creation or enhancing of weapons and armor though takes a well trained blacksmith to know how to work it. Mithril jewellery is also highly sought after, especially for a gift between lovers for is said to gleam even more brightly under starlight.
Considered priceless both for its beauty and scarcity, when Mithril is unearthed it is usually through uncovering of hoarded treasures rather than in its natural state and only then in the tiniest of quantities. Even a handful of Mithril would likely outweigh the entire combined wealth of the entire island!
Any questions regarding Mithril and its use, please contact any Mysts of Eyr Admin!